Daily Prompt: A second #RoyalBaby will soon be joining the Windsors in England. Given the choice, would you rather be heir to the throne, or the (probably) off-the-hook sibling?
To be honest I don’t think I would like to be either. Upon getting obsessed with the programme The Tudors and Henry VIII I pondered this question. I looked at how becoming the heir of the throne after his older brother died had affected him. He went from being the ‘off-the-hook sibling’ to ruling the country and marrying his brothers widow. So I made a list of pros and cons of each!
Heir: Pros: 1. You get to make a difference
2. In the case of Henry VIII you can get any woman you want!
3. You have riches and unlimited power
4. Everyone loves you and gives you everything you desire.
Cons: 1. There are extremely high expectations!
2. You become very big headed despite your hopes that you will stay down to earth and keep in tune with the ‘normal people’.
3. You are expected to have an heir( in Henry VIIIs case he was obsessed and had an awful time getting one!)
4. You become power mad!
5. You are loved to your face but in reality you are hated by many! For example King Louis XVI of France and Marie Antoinette….well we all know how that ended!
6. You have to protect your country, maintain peace and keep everyone happy.
7. You have to be the perfect leader, a good man, husband, economist, be friendly and basically inhuman!
8. For your whole life you groomed to be King or Queen
9.You are a puppet- you are manipulated and used
10. You have to marry a Princess or someone of royal or noble blood. Things have changed though with Prince William marrying Kate.
11. You can’t go out in public in tracksuit bottoms and a hoodie.
12. Publicity and reputation is everything
As you can see there are more cons then pros. I believe that nurture has a lot to with becoming a good King or Queen for that matter. For all Queens the heir is the big one. You are not a proper Queen if you do not supply an heir. For Queen Catherine of Aragon this was the reason for her downfall. The obsession of Henry VIII ruined him.
I think what ‘off-the-hook’ sibling means is the second child which of course follows the heir. So here is the pros and cons list:
Pros: 1. You don’t have the pressure of becoming King or Queen.(You have an older sibling for that!)
2. You can be whoever you want
3. You get all the jewels and riches without the expectations
4. You can have a boy or girl it doesn’t matter
5. You can still make a difference- very slight depending on your position in court(yes yes another Henry VIII reference!)
Cons: 1. You’re not as precious as the heir
2. You still have to be a respectable person in society
3. You can still become King or Queen if the heir passes away. For example Henry VIII and King George.
4. You still have to marry a woman who is worthy of being associated with the royal family.
5. You’re a second best
6. You have to do what your brother and sister says because they’re ‘King or Queen’.
That’s it! Those are all the pros and cons I can think of. I think it’s simple to say that the grass is always greener on the other side.